Printer Ink Cartridges Vs. Toner: The Pros And Cons
If you’ve read our guide to printer ink cartridges, you know that a laser printer cartridge is not just a black ink cartridge with a fancy name; cartridge ink and laser cartridge toner are, in fact, two very different things. “Which type of print cartridge,” you may find yourself wondering at this juncture, “Is better?”
Alas, there’s no one simple answer to that question; each type of cartridge (and printer) has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages, which we will explain in detail below. After all, when it comes to weighing up the pros and cons of ink cartridges, who better to ask than a cartridge shop with over four decades of experience?
Toner, the powder-based and heat-set printing agent used by laser printers, has the following pros and cons:
1. Toner means a faster printing experience. If all of the computer ink cartridges available had a race, toner would win hands-down; laser printers are famous for beating their ink-based cousins to the finish. The rapid precision of lasers means that, unlike ink printer cartridges, toner cartridges can produce a very accurate image simply by “etching” it onto a drum within the printer, rolling a piece of paper past it, and setting it with heat. Generic ink cartridges, on the other hand, must be sprayed out very carefully using multiple applications so that the liquid ink doesn’t bleed or warp the paper.
2. Toner produces a sharper picture. As mentioned above, the use of lasers offers a peerless level of precision, meaning that laser-printed images usually appear clearer and more defined. However, a photo-grade inkjet printer supplied with compatible ink cartridges often manages to come in a very close second.
3. Toner cartridges last longer. Though toner cartridges often look very costly compared to wholesale ink cartridges, they are capable of putting out a higher volume of pages; laser printers use toner more efficiently than inkjet printers use ink.
1. Toner can be expensive. You can, however, save money if you buy ink cartridges and toner cartridges from a certified remanufactured like Boomerang TCR Qld.
2. Laser printers take up more space and cost more than inkjet printers do. You can, however, buy used and save a great deal of money when purchasing a laser printer. Likewise, if you make use of our printer repair and maintenance services, your laser printer is likely to vastly outlive its less-robust inkjet brethren.
As the name suggests, inkjet printer cartridges contain small airtight “tanks” that hold liquid ink. This ink is sprayed out in a microscopic mist to create images, with the following pros and cons:
1. You can get a decent inkjet printer for relatively little money. Many individuals who only print infrequently find that inkjet printers stocked with generic printer cartridges are a better choice from a financial perspective. Businesses, however, may find that the initially low ink cartridge price and printer price is offset by the greater frequency with which ink cartridges need to be replaced.
2. Ink cartridges smudge less often. Though you wouldn’t expect it, a color ink cartridge can actually produce a faster-drying image than some laser toner cartridges can. Laser toner needs more time to cool before it can be touched because it is actually a plastic compound set with high heat.
3. Ink cartridges are easy to replace. This advantage largely appeals to individuals who are handling their own printer maintenance rather than businesses.
1. Ink cartridges run out more quickly. Because ink cartridges are usually quite small, if you buy an inkjet printer, you will soon find yourself wondering where to buy ink cartridges…
2. Ink cartridges tend to clog occasionally. This generally occurs only if the printer remains unused for long periods of time, however.
If you have any additional questions about printer ink cartridges or need help finding compatible cartridges for your printer, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Our trained printing professionals will be happy to help you achieve the highest-quality printing job possible.